Study Permit


Study Permit

Canada is the most popular destination for international students coming from all over the world due to its easy transition and pathways to permanent residency. Canada is home to some of the world`s most reputable universities and colleges. Graduate with an internationally recognized degree or diploma from world renowned universities and colleges. During and after graduation you may be eligible to work and gain valuable Canadian work experience. Let the Jiauddin Immigration team figure out which study options and work pathways are best suited to your circumstances. Call us today and get advice from an immigration professionals.


The study permit is a record issued to permit foreign nationals to study at an assigned University or College in Canada. Most foreign students require a study permit to study in Canada. When you apply for a study permit from outside Canada, you are either issued a study visa or ETA to travel to Canada along with an approval letter. Study permits are issued by CBSA on the border after verification.


A study permit allows you to study at a designated learning institution (DLI) in Canada. It is important to know that with a study permit, you are often permitted to work while attending school. You may also qualify for a full-time work permit which is called PGWP once you graduate.


The study permit is usually valid for the length of your program of study.

Criteria for a Study Permit

  • Accepted for study at a designated learning institution
  • Obtain letter of acceptance
  • Apply for a study permit and TRV or eTA
  • Pay application fee and biometric fee (for some)
  • Must not be inadmissible


Study without a Study Permit

In certain cases, some Foreign Nationals will be able to study without a Study Permit, including those studying for under 6 months, minor children in Canada, the family members or staff of Foreign Diplomats and English language school (ELS). In addition to this, spouses or common-law partners of foreign students are eligible for a work permit for the duration as the study permit.


Study Permit Extensions

An international student may apply for the renewal of their study permit under the

provisions of the IRPR section 217, if the following criteria are met:

  • the renewal application was made before the expiry of the current study permit

(processing time guidelines suggest that the application for renewal should be

made at least 30 days before the expiry of the current study permit); and

  • the foreign national has complied with all conditions imposed on entry into


The student must also be in compliance with the eligibility criteria for a study

permit pursuant to section 216 of the IRPR.

Because it may take some time to process a renewal, an international student is

allowed to continue studying in Canada with an expired study permit if the following conditions of section 189 of the IRPR are met:

  • the renewal application was made before the expiry of the current study permit;
  • the student has remained in Canada since the expiry of the study permit; and
  • the student continues to comply with the conditions, other than the expiry

date, set out on the expired study permit.


Contact us today to fulfill your dream destination for higher education


Book an Appointment

Please complete the details below and then click on submit and we'll be in contact