Federal Skilled Trades Program


Federal Skilled Trades Program

You must have at least 2 years of full-time work experience (or an equal amount of part-time work experience) in a skilled trade within the 5 years before you apply


your work experience must be for paid work (paid wages or earned commission—volunteer work or unpaid internships don’t count)


meet the job requirements for that skilled trade as set out in the National Occupational Classification, except for needing a certificate of qualification

have a valid job offer of full-time employment for a total period of at least 1 year or certificate of qualification in that skilled trade issued by a Canadian provincial, territorial or federal authority Under Canada’s National Occupational Classification (NOC) code, the following occupations are considered skilled trades:

  • Industrial, electrical and construction trades
  • Maintenance and equipment operation trades
  • Supervisors and technical jobs in natural resources, agriculture and related production
  • Processing, manufacturing and utility supervisors and central control operators
  • Chefs and cooks
  • Butchers and bakers
  • The work experience only counts after you qualified to independently practice the occupation.

There is no education requirement for the Federal Skilled Trades Program.


Language AbilitiesMinimum level
EnglishSpeaking and listeningCLB 5
EnglishReading and writingCLB 4
FrenchSpeaking and listeningNCLC 5
FrenchReading and writingNCLC 4

We will navigate through different programs and find the best suitable options for you.


Book an Appointment

Please complete the details below and then click on submit and we'll be in contact